Posted in cross stitch

New Starts

There have been quite a few new starts, including just about everything in the last post. The only ones I will be including here are the projects still in progress.

Autumn Prince – HAED – Kayomi Harai

Not much to see yet, but 2,100 stitches is a pretty good start! Rather than grid the whole (MASSIVE) piece of fabric, I decided to stitch it block by block on the diagonal.

DMC on white 18 count Aida

Autumn In My Garden – Mirabilia – Nora Corbett

I fell in love with the seasonal garden pieces from Mirabilia. I was attempting to work on each one in its season, but due to the next project I’m going to show you, it got put on hold.

Moon Pool Unicorn – Mystic Stitch Inc – Robin Koni

This is a commission-in-progress from one of my coworkers for his daughter. It was started November 13, 2018, and I’ve been stitching like a mad-woman on it ever since. I’m hoping to get it done by November this year.

DMC on 16 count Aida – and the floss skein numbers are OFF. The recommended fabric is 14 count, so I can’t even imagine how much more floss I’d be buying if I were stitching it on that.

The sparkle in the first picture is from the Sulky Sliver I used for gridding.

So there you go! All caught up on progress.

Happy Stitching!

Posted in cross stitch

Finished Stitches 2018 – Now

WARNING: Picture-heavy post!

Cat Lessons For People – Lizzie Kate

This one made me giggle, and kitties are the most perfect pet out there imho, so there you go. More variegated floss, which I am slowly starting to get over my aversion to.

Butterfly Profusion – Dimensions Kit

In spite of my loathing for 14 count, it doesn’t look half bad. The backstitching helps.

Hardanger Diamond

I have the four Victorian Sampler elements patterns that require extensive hardanger, so this was a test piece to see how that would go. I found it very enjoyable, although my specialty stitches are going to require practice….. I even managed to clip two threads that Should Not Have Been Cut, and this had the hair raising experience of fixing my first hardanger oops. It wasn’t as bad as I expected.

Letter R – Letters From Nora – Nora Corbett

These stitch up quick! More variegated floss, to the point that I’m actually starting to enjoy it. 😳 This one is going to another friend once I get it FFO’d.

Joyful World SAL – The Snowflower Diaries

I started these on a linen burlap and I don’t like it. It’s too coarse and dark (the bottom photo is the most accurate for color) and it overwhelms the stitching. Back to the drawing board.

Here Comes Treble – Ink Circles

First in a set of three including the alto and bass clefs.

As you can see, I’ve been busy. But that is not all, oh no! I have a few more starts to show you yet, so don’t go too far.

Happy Stitching!

Posted in cross stitch

New Year, New Starts, and some Finishes!

Happy New Year! Here’s hoping it’s a good one.

Things went kinda crazy at the beginning of December, what with the particularly virulent strain of flu going around. I haven’t been sick yet, but about half of my coworkers have, and that makes for lots of overtime and not much else. There’s no end in sight yet, either.

I still managed to find stitching-time, though. Or forcefully carve it out of what little free time I had, as it were, and finished a kit from my stash and a quick stitch for my mother.

TA-DA!

Hedgehogs in Ligonberries – Alexandra Gusarova – Riolis kit

I like the detail in the kits from this company, but the threads took some getting used to. They’re a lace weight yarn, rather than floss. These guys need ironed, and then I’m possibly taking them to a craft store/framer in town. Dimensions are 9 3/4 x 9 3/4 inches.

I’m particularly fond of this, as I had an African Pygmy Hedgehog as a pet when I started it. He developed wobbly hog syndrome and has since died.

Lily of the Valley – Ida Shtandel – Riolis kit

A quick stitch for my mom; one of her favorite flowers. It’s around 5 x 6 inches on 16 count (63 x 77 stitches) with yarn again, instead of floss. I’ll probably end up mounting this on foam board and adding a hanger on the back.

And now for the starts!

Butterfly Profusion – Dimensions kit

Attempted gridding with 5lb fishing line. Still not sure what to think of it. Either way, one more kit from the stash is in progress, and I am reminded of why I loathe 14 count Aida. 2 strands of floss just won’t provide satisfactory coverage, and with a kit, I’m hesitant to increase the number of strands in use at a time. So! I grit my teeth and deal with it, and remind myself that from a proper viewing distance, it’s not going to be as bad as it looks to me while I’m working on it.

Neglected Floss SAL– Magical525 – deviantART.com

This NFSAL is ongoing over at the Stitching Pirates group on dA. I chose the option to do it as one big piece instead of 12 small ones. The fabric is MCG Textiles 28 count evenweave in natural, with DMC 597, 3808, and 3825. Stitched 2 over 1 so that the stitches would stand out a bit more.

So far, I’ve spent almost as much time frogging as I have stitching on this one. 😑 That left side? Still needs redone. Somehow I managed to flip the x-es the wrong way, all the way down. For now I am ignoring its existence.

In other stitchy news, I’m working on kitting up for a few projects that are going to be rather cost heavy. Two of them are the Small Spices blocks from Martina Rosenberg over at Chatelaine designs – Black Pepper and Ginger. They use almost entirely the same flosses and beads, but the majority of the flosses are silks.

Also in the works is Blackwork Journey’s Save the Stitches. I only need one more color of beads for that and it’ll be ready to go.

And Autumn Prince (HAED – Kayomi Harai) is ready to go! It’s sits there on top of my stash box, giving me incentive to finish my kits.